Director, Divisional Counsel
El Segundo, CAAPPLY
- JOB ID 2021-1603
Federal Realty is a proven leader in the ownership, operation, and redevelopment of high-quality retail real estate in the country's best markets. We believe we are one of the most innovative and dynamic real estate companies you can work for. Interested candidates who research Federal Realty hear a lot about the high-quality shopping centers and mixed-use centers in our portfolio, as well as our well-respected real estate team. It's the smaller intangible things that can make working at Federal Realty so satisfying. While we're one of the largest publicly traded real estate investment trusts in the country, as measured by the value of our shopping centers, we're really a very small company by most standards and we try to operate that way. Team members with initiative and ability can get involved in many facets of our business. We encourage you to look us up on LinkedIn and follow Federal Realty.
Federal Realty is currently sourcing for an attorney to support all of Federal Realty’s leasing and operational legal needs for its West Coast 25+ property portfolio consisting of over 5.5M square feet of retail and office space and 66 rental apartments. The portfolio includes such iconic properties as Santana Row in San Jose, California and Plaza El Segundo and The Point in El Segundo, California. The ideal candidate will have significant retail and office leasing experience and the ability to support all other legal needs relating to the operation and development of the West Coast portfolio. The position will be based in Federal’s Southern California office located at Plaza El Segundo and may include periodic travel to Federal’s Northern California office located at Santana Row as well as Federal’s corporate headquarters located in North Bethesda, Maryland.
The Primary responsibility for the position is leasing, with some property operations involvement.
- Review, draft, negotiate and manage the process for new leases and supplemental documents from initial preparation through execution. This position will be the primary drafter and negotiator of a significant amount of lease documents, with the ability to use outside counsel and other internal resources as needed.
- Provide critical strategic legal support, guidance and decision making for all legal matters affecting the properties in the West Coast division, including: leasing, research for development and leasing, tenant default, construction contracts, miscellaneous property related issues, intellectual property, bankruptcy/collection, marketing agreements, CC&R documents, declarations, access agreements, easement agreements and related development documents.
- Review, draft and negotiate legal agreements, terms and conditions for business transactions related to the West Coast portfolio while keeping in mind Federal’s short-term and long-term company goals.
- Proactively communicate and interact with the company’s leasing, development, property management, lease administration, tenant coordination and marketing departments as well as tenants and their counsel and brokers.
- Interface with and manage outside counsel as necessary and appropriate.
- Perform legal research, as necessary, on leases and other real estate matters, particularly with respect to the rights of existing tenants and potential redevelopment of properties in the West Coast portfolio.
- Counsel and advise property operations and leasing on landlord-tenant disputes, contract disputes and other operational disputes.
- Counsel, advise and manage third party claims relating primarily to slip and falls at Federal Realty Properties with the assistance of our third party adjusters and insurance broker team. Tasks include claims management and management of outside counsel, including settlement authority, and strategy for claim management.
- Bachelor’s degree and JD degree from an accredited law school
- 10-15 years’ experience in negotiating and drafting retail and office leases and other real estate documents with strong negotiating skills and business judgment
- Experience with legal operations involving retail, office and residential
- Strong critical thinking, problem solving and decision-making skills
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize multiple projects
- Proven ability to prioritize pending work and deal with time sensitive issues in an effective manner
- Strong legal analysis, writing and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to establish positive relationships at all levels inside and outside the company
- High level of independent thinking and ethical standards
- High dedication to internal customer service in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Strong computer skills and intermediate knowledge of MSOffice
Federal Realty Investment Trust is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, or protected Veteran status.
Federal Realty Investment Trust does not accept unsolicited resumes through or from search firms or staffing agencies. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Federal Realty Investment Trust and Federal Realty Investment Trust will not be obligated to pay a placement fee.
If you are unable to submit your application online, please call 301-998-8100.