Construction Services Manager, Multifamily
North Bethesda, MDAPPLY
- JOB ID 2021-1593
- Asset Management
Federal Realty Investment Trust is a proven leader in the ownership, operation, and redevelopment of high quality retail real estate in the country's best markets. We believe we are one of the most innovative and dynamic real estate companies you can work for. Interested candidates who research Federal hear a lot about our high quality shopping centers and mixed use centers. Our well respected real estate team is at our core, but it's the smaller intangible things that can make working at Federal so satisfying. You see, while we're one of the largest publicly traded real estate investment trusts in the country, as measured by the value of our shopping centers, we're really a very small company by most standards and we try to operate that way. Our stability and success is due to our great team of employees! Would you like to join our team? If so, learn more about our current opportunity below.
The Construction Services Manager will work directly with Federal’s Director of Asset Management for east coast multifamily. This individual’s primary responsibilities will include the overall planning, coordination, and oversight of residential capital projects ensuring these are completed within quality standards, on time, and within budget. This position will also provide support and technical expertise to third party property management maintenance team members. The Manager will report to the Director, Multifamily Asset Management (East Coast) and work out of our North Bethesda office.
- Analyze existing condition of properties, recommending capital improvements, renovations, and asset preservation heavy/light maintenance projects
- Establish/maintain a rolling 5-year capital expenditure plan for each asset
- Direct multiple construction/renovation projects to successful completion within a set budget and specified timeline
- Develop scope of work and schedule for approved projects and set project budget by developing hard cost estimates on materials, supplies, and labor
- Prepare bidding packages, review bids and proposals, make contractor selections, negotiate, approve, and administer all contracts and obtain necessary permits and licenses for work completed
- Oversee technical aspects of projects, including but not limited to, code and safety compliance, meeting applicable ordinances and building codes and ensuring quality standards are met
- Manage project budgets by monitoring spending, processing draws, reviewing invoices for payment and tracking all job costs ensuring proper decisions are made to ensure the projected margin is maintained
- Review, recommend and obtain approval for change orders to specifications, plans, or scope when appropriate and ensure related documents and budgets are updated to reflect changes in project specifications
- Communicate proactively and frequently with other project stakeholders to update on status of projects, identify and address concerns, and devise next steps as needed to maintain each project’s schedule and budget
- Monitor and recommend on-going property preventative maintenance programs for each asset
- Investigate and troubleshoot non-routine maintenance concerns to develop appropriate action plan for resolution
- Provide analysis and assessment of asset renovation potential as needed
- Provide support and technical expertise to third party property management maintenance team members
- Provide input on new development opportunities, by recommending preferred physical plant / HVAC, other critical facility investments, material selections for durability / longevity, and other areas to ensure capital investments are thoughtful and aimed at maximizing property income
- Work in collaboration with the Head of Sustainability to ensure current and proposed investments meet key ESG goals and operating standards for residential
- Special projects as assigned
- 10+ years of increasingly responsible experience overseeing multifamily maintenance, renovations, capital and construction projects
- High school diploma; continuing education courses in related fields a plus
- Extensive knowledge of and exceptional analytical skills regarding established construction and maintenance practices, procedures, and techniques enabling the identification and resolution of key portfolio concerns
- Strong financial analysis skills to effectively formulate budgets and proven ability to interpret and track budgets and manage approval of vendor invoices
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills and a high level of attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong interpersonal, communication, organizational and time management skills with the ability to effectively lead and manage trade workers and contractors
- Ability to manage multiple projects to firm schedules and effectively communicate progress updates and change orders to appropriate stakeholders
- Demonstrated understanding of finish carpentry, framing, HVAC, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, major building systems, central plants, and other trades.
- Ability to analyze, and interpret construction drawings.
- Good computer skills/proficiency MS suite to include Excel, and Word; proficiency in using real estate property management software (Yardi, RealPage, or similar software)
- Experience in the multifamily housing and real estate industries which includes a working knowledge of property operations and management
- Ability to travel as needed
Federal Realty Investment Trust is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or protected Veteran status.
Federal Realty Investment Trust does not accept unsolicited resumes through or from search firms or staffing agencies. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Federal Realty Investment Trust and Federal Realty Investment Trust will not be obligated to pay a placement fee.
If you are unable to submit your application online, please call 301-998-8100.