North Bethesda, MD
- JOB ID 2021-1549
Federal Realty Investment Trust is a proven leader in the ownership, operation, development and redevelopment of premium retail real estate in the country's best markets. We consider ourselves one of the most innovative and dynamic real estate companies in the area. We encourage you to research Federal Realty to learn about our high quality community shopping centers and mixed use properties. While Federal Realty is one of the largest publicly traded real estate investment trusts in the country (as measured by the value of our assets), we function and operate as a small company. Team members with initiative and proven ability can be involved in many facets of executing Federal Realty’s business plan. We encourage you to look us up on LinkedIn and follow Federal Realty Investment Trust.
We are currently sourcing for a business oriented attorney, preferably with real estate experience, to join our Legal team in our corporate headquarters located in North Bethesda, MD. This position is also open to being remote. The Legal Counsel will primarily review, draft, negotiate and manage the process of leases and supplemental lease documents from initial preparation through execution for properties across the Federal portfolio, working closely with the leasing and development departments.
- Review, draft, negotiate and manage the process for lease documents, secondary lease related documents and other supplemental documents from initial preparation through signing.
- Communicate and interact with the company’s leasing, development, lease administration departments, as well as tenants, their counsel and brokers.
- Oversee legal matters that impact Operating Properties including preparation of, or response to, default claims asserted by or against tenants; preparation of notices and letter amendments to the leases through resolution of matters/claims; research relating to property operations and use restrictions, tenant and landlord rights; and interpretation of lease language as requested.
- Partner, counsel and advise Property Operations, Lease Administration and Leasing on landlord-tenant disputes.
- Partner, counsel and advise Property Operations on Property Management issues and coordinate with property and asset managers as needed.
- Perform legal research, as necessary, on leases and other real estate matters.
- Bachelor’s degree and JD degree from an accredited law school
- 6-8 years’ experience in negotiating and drafting retail and office leases and other real estate documents with strong negotiating skills and business judgment
- Strong critical thinking, problem solving and decision making skills
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize multiple projects
- Proven ability to prioritize pending work and deal with time sensitive issues in an effective manner
- Strong legal analysis, writing and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to establish positive relationships at all levels inside and outside the company
- High level of independent thinking and ethical standards
- High dedication to internal customer service in a fast-paced, team oriented environment
- Strong computer skills and intermediate knowledge of MSOffice
Federal Realty Investment Trust is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, or protected Veteran status.
Federal Realty Investment Trust does not accept unsolicited resumes through or from search firms or staffing agencies. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Federal Realty Investment Trust and Federal Realty Investment Trust will not be obligated to pay a placement fee.
If you are unable to submit your application online, please call 301-998-8100.