Director, Construction and Tenant Services
- JOB ID 2021-1544
Federal is a proven leader in the ownership, operation, development and redevelopment of premium retail real estate in the country's best markets. We consider ourselves one of the most innovative and dynamic real estate companies one can work with. Interested candidates who research Federal Realty learn about our high quality community shopping center and mixed use property portfolio. Federal’s well-respected real estate investment and management team delivers a significant combination of modest and large, value-add investments that can make working at Federal rewarding. While Federal is one of the largest publicly traded real estate investment trusts in the country, as measured by the value of our assets, we're functionally a small company by most standards and we operate that way. Team members with initiative and proven ability get involved in many facets of executing Federal’s business plan. We encourage you to look us up and follow us on LinkedIn.
Federal Realty Investment Trust is seeking a Director, Construction and Tenant Services (Northeast - Core Division). This position is responsible for directing and managing all aspects of shopping center renovations and new tenant retail delivery for projects in Boston, New York, and Connecticut. The successful candidate will be responsible for staff management, outside vendor supervision, estimating, budgeting, tracking, delivery, and tenant openings for the Northeast Core Division portfolio. The portfolio comprises of 17 community shopping center properties totaling approximately 3 million square feet of retail space. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to design management, permitting and construction of shopping center renovations, anchor tenants, restaurants, grocery stores, health clubs and similar projects of varying complexity. The position will work closely with the development, asset management, and leasing teams, and serve as the owner manager and liaison between tenants, architects, consultants, and contractors throughout the planning and construction phases of projects.
- Manage and maintain a cohesive staff and outside vendors while building and sustaining collaborative and productive partnerships with internal and external stakeholders providing oversight and management execution as required.
- Work directly with the other senior leaders of the Core Division team to ensure that work is properly allocated within the Department, lease language and terms of delivery are achievable, and projects are delivered on time and on budget.
- Ensure coordination of all assigned projects with appropriate Federal Realty departments, consultants, tenants, and third-party managers.
- Provide pre-development input of construction techniques, job costs and schedule benchmarks.
- Provide oversight for value engineering for all pre-development projects.
- Establish final construction documents, schedules, and budgets.
- Coordinate plans, specs, and bids to finalize contractor scopes.
- Negotiate construction scope, fees, and contracts.
- Responsible for all aspects of projects from start to finish.
- Oversee the preparation of weekly & monthly project progress reports.
- Regularly update the project schedule and manage contractor change orders.
- Review accuracy of contractors pay requests; oversee the approval process.
- Analyze job costs and manages the project to the closing budget.
- Spearhead and coordinate conceptual estimates for lease budgetary purposes.
- Manage the production and review of construction exhibits required by Leasing and/or Legal departments.
- Review and approve construction drawings to ensure compliance with Lease, budget, schedule, and design requirements.
- Troubleshoot design and construction issues as they arise.
- Deliver project warranties and closeout documents.
- 10+ years project management and tenant coordination experience
- Degree in Architecture, Civil Engineering, Construction Management, or a related management degree, preferred
- Prior team leadership experience required with strong management and supervisory experience
- Demonstrated high degree of professionalism and command of all processes involved with negotiation of work letters, buying of work, design review and delivery of retail construction projects
- Experience with the redevelopment and construction of retail properties
- Proven proficiency in reading and understanding construction documents, interpreting construction means and methods, construction cost estimating, and insuring compliance with building construction and project design criteria
- Demonstrated ability to comprehend, analyze, and interpret complex documents and solve problems involving several options in situations, requires advanced analytical and quantitative skills
- Experience in reading and understanding civil, architectural, structural and MEP drawings
- Proven ability to perform financial analysis/reporting of construction cost
- Strong negotiation skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong computer skills (MS Office)
- PMP and LEED AP, preferred
- CDP (ICSC) designation a plus
Federal Realty Investment Trust is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Federal Realty Investment Trust does not accept unsolicited resumes through or from search firms or staffing agencies. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Federal Realty Investment Trust and Federal Realty Investment Trust will not be obligated to pay a placement fee.
If you are unable to submit your application online, please call 301-998-8100.